Our mission is to generate superior returns with
We believe that a balanced risk-return approach that emphasizes stable returns and capital preservation over “higher beta” transactions will provide greater and more consistent returns to our investors and the management teams that operate our businesses. The critical elements of the Firm’s approach to achieve its mission are:
- Careful asset selection driven by a disciplined due diligence process
- Proactive targeting of attractive industry sectors
- Engagement of all professionals at every stage of the investment cycle
- Developing and driving a value creation strategy
- Proactive partnership with strong management to achieve a company’s full potential
Harvest believes that its comprehensive investment approach enables us to recognize and capitalize on an investment’s upside while limiting losses.
Harvest Partners, founded in 1981, is an established private equity firm with a 35+ year history of investing in middle-market companies. We invest across four industry verticals, backing high quality management teams to acquire and build growing businesses.
For 35 years, through seven funds with aggregate capital commitments of over $5.0 billion, the firm has invested in over 50 companies.
Harvest is led by an experienced and cohesive management team that has directed the Firm’s investment program since 2000. This senior management team includes five Senior Managing Directors and five Managing Directors who collectively have over 150 years of private equity investment experience. Today we have approximately 40 employees, and our offices are located in midtown Manhattan.
With a $2.2 billion fund raised in 2016, Harvest is actively seeking new investment opportunities.
OUR CAPITAL BASE
Harvest Partners has raised approximately $3 billion of private equity capital through our six investment funds.
Capital raised as of DECEMBER 31, 2012:
FUND YEAR TOTAL CAPITAL STATUS Harvest Partners VI 2011 $1.125 billion Investing Harvest Partners V 2007 $816 million Fully invested Harvest Partners IV 2002 $558 million Fully invested Harvest Partners III 1997 $362 million Fully invested Harvest Partners II 1995 $81 million Fully invested Harvest Partners I 1985 $42 million Fully invested
OUR INVESTOR BASE
Our investors are critical to our past and future success. They include a diverse group of prominent institutions, with a history of continuity with Harvest. Our investors include many of the world’s largest pension funds, funds of funds, insurance companies and other private and public funds.
Many of our portfolio company executives choose to expand their relationship with Harvest. In a number of cases, these managers have invested their own capital in our funds.
Harvest’s investment staff makes a substantial coinvestment commitment to each of our private equity funds and is an investor in every transaction that we complete.
PRINCIPLES FOR RESPONSIBLE INVESTING
Consistent with providing the best possible returns to our investors, Harvest Partners believes a genuine commitment to the highest standards of business practices and ethics is essential. We believe that considering environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) factors as we make business decisions allows us to craft more sustainable long-term strategies for our portfolio companies, which is essential to creating value for our stakeholders.
In developing our policy, we have given consideration to a range of codes and standards, including the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (“UNPRI”), the UN Global Compact, and the Private Equity Growth Capital Council’s Guidelines for Responsible Investment.
The partners and staff of Harvest Partners will:
- Consider environmental, public health, safety, and social issues associated with potential portfolio companies when evaluating whether to invest in a particular company or entity, as well as during the period of ownership.
- Consider the impact of environmental, social and governance issues that impact key stakeholders and/or the long-term sustainability of our businesses as we seek to grow and improve them. To that end, Harvest Partners will work through appropriate governance structures (e.g. board of directors) with portfolio companies with respect to environmental, public health, safety, and social issues, with the goal of improving performance and minimizing adverse impacts in these areas.
- Seek to use governance structures that provide appropriate levels of oversight in the areas of audit, risk management and potential conflicts of interest and to implement compensation and other policies that align the interests of owners and management.
- Remain committed to compliance with applicable national, state, and local labor laws in the countries in which we invest; support the payment of competitive wages and benefits to employees; provide a safe and healthy workplace in conformance with national and local law; and, consistent with applicable law, respect the rights of employees to decide whether or not to join a union and engage in collective bargaining.
- Maintain strict policies that prohibit bribery and other improper payments to public officials consistent with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, similar laws in other countries, and the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention.
- Respect the human rights of those affected by our investment activities and seek to confirm that our investments do not flow to companies that utilize child or forced labor or maintain discriminatory policies.
- Provide timely information to our investors on the matters addressed herein, and work to foster transparency about our activities.
- Encourage our portfolio companies to advance these same principles in a way which is consistent with our fiduciary duties.